Salary: $40,456.00 - $72,592.00 Annually
Job Type: Regular, Full-Time
Location: Cary, North Carolina
Performs responsible protective service work in the prevention, detection and investigation of violations of the law; performs related work as required. Work may include assignment to special duty such as Impact Team, traffic, field investigations, criminal investigations, K-9, etc.
Work is performed under the regular supervision of a Police Sergeant.
Patrols designated sector in assigned car; observes activity and intervenes as necessary; checks the physical security of businesses, homes, cars, etc.; gets out of car and closely inspects buildings; establishes contact with citizens for public relations;
Enforces traffic laws; patrols or conducts stationary observation of traffic; utilizes radar to detect speed violations; stops suspicious vehicles for investigation; issues warnings, citations, and arrests for violations; uses standard field sobriety tests to determine impairment;
Serves criminal summons, subpoenas, and warrants in assigned jurisdiction; makes arrests and transports suspects to the public safety center for processing;
Responds to domestic violence incidences; provides assistance to reduce the risk of additional violence; conducts investigation if necessary;
Responds to robbery calls; assesses crime scenes and calls for assistance; secures the crime scenes and interviews witnesses; apprehends suspects;
Investigates accidents; gathers appropriate information and fills out reports; draws diagrams; charges drivers as necessary; calls wreckers, rescue personnel, utility companies as necessary;
Conducts detailed investigation of crimes;
Provides service to the public; advises citizens on departmental procedures and options available;
Testifies in court on arrests made; presents evidence collected;
Completes necessary reports for all actions taken and submits to lieutenant for review;
Directs traffic as needed at traffic accidents and other incidents;
Prepares and delivers crime prevention and traffic safety talks;
May serve as field training officer (FTO);
Performs other job-related tasks as required.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks™ to help you prepare for your upcoming exam.
Start practicing for your Law enforcement test here! These guides will help you pass the exam and outperform your competition.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Thorough knowledge of police methods, practices and procedures; general knowledge of the geography of the Town; general knowledge of departmental rules and regulations; general knowledge of Town ordinances; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear and comprehensive reports; ability to deal courteously but firmly with the public; ability to analyze situations and to adopt quick, effective and reasonable courses of action with due regard to surrounding hazards and circumstances; skill in the use of firearms and the operation of motor vehicles.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
Requires high school graduation or equivalent, a minimum of twenty and a
half years of age, a valid driver's license with a good driving record, and
successful completion of medical, psychological, physical fitness (POTAT)
and standardized reading testing.
Also requires one of the following:
· Prior sworn law enforcement experience in the state of North Carolina
· Two years, full-time, out-of-state sworn law enforcement experience with no more than one year break in service
· North Carolina BLET certification or current enrollment in a BLET program
Candidates selected for interviews will be required to bring the following
documentation to the interview. This documentation will not be returned so
candidate will need to make copies prior to the interview. Please
note that candidates that arrive to the interview without this paperwork
will not be granted the interview.
This documentation includes:
· Copy of Birth Certificate
· Certified Criminal Records Checks from all counties in which candidate lived in the last 10 years. If candidate attended high school within those 10 years and the high school was located in a different county then candidate's residence, must include that county's criminal history check as well
· Certified Driving History from all states in which candidate has lived in the past 10 years
· Credit Report
· Copy of High School Diploma or GED
· Copy of College Diploma or transcript if not graduated (if applicable)
· Copy of BLET Certificate Of Graduation (if applicable)
· Copy of Law Enforcement Certificate (if applicable)
· Copy of full DD 214 (if applicable)
· For out-of-state certified law enforcement officers, must include an official, topical and hourly breakdown of the basic academy attended, regardless of how long ago. Copy of a graduation certificate.
Should you have an questions, please feel free to contact Sgt. Stephan Lampert (919-460-4916) or Sgt. Wyatt Crabtree (919-380-4218).
Requires drug testing and background check (which may include criminal check, education verification and credit history review) prior to employment.