Agency: Durham Police Department
Location: Durham NC
Industry: Protective Service
Occupational Category: Law Enforcement
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Salary: $33,000.00 - $52,955.00 Annually
Job Type: Full time with benefits
complete list of requirements under Minimum Qualifications below.
The purpose of this training position is to respond to citizen calls for service, provide a police presence in the community to encourage citizens to feel safe, conduct law enforcement activities and operations, and investigate crimes. This is accomplished by utilizing communications equipment, employing chemical and biological protective equipment, conducting police tactical movements, conducting security operations, conducting prisoner operations, conducting traffic operations, completing documentation, navigating streets, conducting investigations, and utilizing police equipment and weapons systems. Prior to certification, work involves Basic Law Enforcement Training, followed by field training.
New Recruit Hiring Bonus
The City of Durham - Police Department will offer a one-time hiring bonus of $5,000, payable in full after the successful completion of BLET (Basic Law Enforcement Training), Phase II and Phase III (all 3 phases must be successfully completed before payment is made to recruits going thru our full BLET).
ALETS (Advanced Law Enforcement Training Students) will receive the $5,000.00 bonus after completing their approved training cycle which is currently estimated to be eight (8) weeks.
The City of Durham - Police Department will offer a one-time relocation assistance bonus of $3,000 for any new hire (recruit) relocating to the City limits of Durham from 100 miles away or more which would be paid after the recruit has been hired and provided the City with proof of residency (both from where the employee is moving from and moving to) in the form of his/her name of title to the property or as leaseholder on a written lease. If the recruit lives less than 100 miles away the relocation assistance bonus paid would be $2,000.
All recruits (new hires), employed by the City for the position of police officer, who relocates his/her primary residence to within the City limits within 18 months of employment, is eligible for the $3k/$2k bonus described above after providing the City with the required proof of residency (both from where the employee is moving from and moving to) in the form of his/her name of title to the property or as leaseholder on a written lease.
LAW ENFORCEMENT TEST
Most law enforcement agencies require candidates to pass a qualification exam.
JobTestPrep offers custom made PrepPacks
· Conducts traffic operations by enforcing North Carolina traffic laws, performing routine and high risk traffic stops, searching vehicles, investigating traffic accidents, removing vehicles and debris, directing traffic, and engaging in vehicle pursuits.Conducts investigations by completing police documentation for reportable crimes and traffic accidents, interviewing and interrogating subjects, utilizing knowledge of search and seizure laws, swearing out warrants and arrests, and protecting crime scenes.
· Performs prisoner operations by conducting searches, handcuffing prisoners, transporting prisoners, and processing prisoners at police station.Utilizes communication systems by using mobile and portable radios, and making telephone calls for reports and follow ups.
· Conducts tactical police operations by serving as a member of search team; conducting searches of buildings, outside area, and vehicles; and patrolling areas in vehicles and on foot.
· Performs administrative duties by completing paperwork, documenting activities and actions, coordinating media relations, serving on committees, maintaining equipment and vehicle, and assisting in coordinating special events.
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
Requirements to become an Officer include:
· Work requires knowledge of a specific vocational, administrative, or technical nature that may be obtained with six-months/one year of advanced study or training past the high school equivalency. State Accredited Community college, vocational, business, and technical or correspondence schools are likely sources.
· Basic Law Enforcement Training.
· Must have a valid North Carolina driver's license, or must be able to obtain a valid NC driver's license within 60 days of hire.
· Completion of high school or equivalency (some college preferred) – Certified transcripts required from both high school and college.
· Age 21 upon completion of classroom training.
· Must meet vision, hearing, and other physical requirements.
· Must meet credit standards
· No felony convictions ever. No serious misdemeanor convictions in the past five years.
· No Domestic Violence convictions (Federal Law)
· No DUI, DWI convictions in the last five years.
· Valid driver's license required, no suspension of driving privileges in the last 3 years and no more than 2 convictions of moving violations in the past three years, or 3 convictions of moving violations in the past five years, or 4 convictions of moving violations in the past seven years.
· No use of any illegal drugs in the past 12 months
· Pass an entry level written examination and physical test
· Pass an extensive background investigation, credit check, criminal history check, drug screen, psychological examination, medical examination, and polygraph examination.
· Military Personnel must have an honorable discharge.
· Must be a US Citizen or Naturalized Citizen